Static and Dynamic Tracking, what is the difference and which type of number do I need?
Static Call Tracking
Static call tracking is the traditional form of tracking, you may also know this as single channel based tracking. Essentially the idea behind these numbers is that you use a number for each source of traffic e.g.
- A Facebook Ad
- A Google Call Extension
- A Billboard advertisement
The advantages of static based tracking are:
- Simplicity and easy of use
- Guaranteed accuracy, every call has come from a single advertisement/display
- Quick provision time
Disadvantages of static tracking:
- Incompatible with Google Adwords and similar integrations
- Tracking is not as in-depth as it's Dynamic alternative
Altogether Static tracking should still make up a good bulk of your call tracking portfolio, it's versatility and flexibility allows it to be used to report on most if not all inbound calls into a business whether they are calls to a 13 number or calls to a GEO number all calls can be tracked, recorded and analysed.
Dynamic Call Tracking
Dynamic call tracking is the gap bridges into today's marketing intelligence, it comprises of a clever mix of telecommunications services and software to mesh traditional online analytics into a whole new solution. This new solution includes software, or what we have dubbed the 'dynamic tracking code' onto your website to dynamically assign phone numbers to match to a user's session.
Once the dynamic tracking code is installed onto your website user's will then be assigned a unique session ID, when they are assigned this session ID they are displayed a number out of a pool of numbers we will provision for your account. When that user makes a call, our system is able to associate the session ID to the number called, it should be noted that there is a lot of other factors that assist with the matching of sessions to numbers however this is just a very high level overview.
What are the benefits of dynamic tracking vs traditional tracking?
- Track the source of your traffic, Organic/Keywords, Campaign (e.g. Adwords), Referral and UTM tagged links like Facebook etc.
- Ability to integrate with systems such as Adwords, Doubleclick, Hubspot etc in order to match conversions against the calls made.
- Audience/user information, what pages did your user land on? What page did they decide to call on? Were they on a mobile or a desktop?
Disadvantages of Dynamic Tracking
- For your website only, dynamic traffic cannot be used on other mediums, these other mediums however can be covered with static tracking.
It should be noted that the amount of numbers required in a dynamic number pool depends on certain visitor statistics to your website, the stats required can be found in Analytics and the required numbers can be provisioned with the help of one of our staff, periodic reviews of your traffic should also be done at a time which suits in order to make sure tracking is as accurate as possible.